WWE Ordered To Pay $330,000 In Damages Following 2021 Lawsuit

WWE Logo

A 2021 lawsuit filed against WWE was closed on March 7th.

According to Fightful, The lawsuit centred around a traffic accident which took place in Tampa, Florida, in 2019. It was filed in 2021 by Jackson Parsons, who was injured in the incident.

Parsons alleged that Gaitan Thomas, a WWE employee and prop expert, was “on the job” when he was involved in a motor vehicle accident with Parsons, who was riding a bicycle at the time.

Parsons claimed to have suffered “physical injuries, pain-and-suffering, disability and the inability and loss of the capacity to lead and enjoy normal life, inconvenience, disfigurement, scarring and mental anguish.” According to Parsons, the injuries and suffering are permanent.

As part of the lawsuit, Parsons also said he has incurred and will continue to incur medical expenses as a result of the incident as well as suffering “a loss of earnings and earning capacity, both in the past and in the future.”

During a trial in Florida Middle District Court, the jury sided with Parsons and ruled that WWE were to pay him $331,800, a figure which took into account the company’s level of negligence in the incident which they found to be 35%. They decided the other 65% was held by Parsons.

WWE sent cease & desist letters over Austin Theory nickname

The lawsuit was one of many legal issues surrounding the company at the moment. It has also emerged that they have been sent two cease and desist letters over the use of the nickname ‘The Now’ for United States Champion Austin Theory.

Independent tag team Vik Dalishus and Hale Collins issued the letters through their lawyer as they have been using that name for their team and copyrighted it back in 2006. As the company has not stopped using the name, Dalishus and Collins are looking to take further action.

“We have sent two cease and desist letters to WWE, they acknowledged one, and said they would look into it. Looking into it doesn’t stop it from being on TV. Our next step is a lawsuit for trademark infringement and creating confusion in the marketplace.” (H/T Hudson Valley Post)

While Theory may or may not be able to refer to himself as ‘The Now’ anymore, there can be no doubt that he is still a big part of WWE’s plans for the future.

He was given a huge boost on the most recent edition of Raw when one of the biggest stars the company has ever seen, John Cena, accepted his invitation to a match at WrestleMania 39 despite not being convinced that he is ready for the honour.