A new report provided more information about the proposed tournament to crown new WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions.
Sasha Banks and Naomi sent shockwaves through the WWE when they walked out of the May 16th episode of Monday Night Raw. Originally scheduled to participate in a six pack challenge to crown the next contender to Bianca Belair’s Raw Women’s Championship – a match Naomi was rumored to be winning – the two had a creative disagreement with Vince McMahon and left the arena, causing the main event of the show to be changed on the fly.
WWE released a statement calling the two women unprofessional, and on the following episode of SmackDown, Michael Cole announced that they had been stripped of the WWE Women’s Tag Team Championships and were suspended indefinitely. Furthermore, it was announced that a tournament would be held to crown new champions. Despite this announcement taking place in May, the tournament hasn’t been brought up again.
Now, an update from Fightful Select reveals that there has been no further information on the tournament provided to those backstage, and that there hasn’t even been discussion of the WWE Women’s Tag Team Titles since the initial announcement.
An initial report in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter said that four teams were set to compete in the tournament. Natalya and Shayna Baszler, Nikki ASH and Doudrop, Carmella and Zelina Vega, and Tamina and Dana Brooke were the names said to be involved, but this hasn’t come to pass.
In recent weeks, Natalya has been embroiled in a feud with Ronda Rousey, and Queen Zelina has been off TV after undergoing surgery for an undisclosed injury. The only team regularly competing together on television is Nikki ASH and Doudrop, and they suffered a loss to Asuka and Alexa Bliss on the most recent episode of Monday Night Raw.