Ric Flair Confirms He Passed Out Twice During Final Match

Ric Flair press conference

Ric Flair has revealed that he completely blacked out not once, but twice during his final match on July 31st.

One of the biggest talking points ahead of Ric Flair’s final match was the WWE Hall of Famer’s health. Flair has struggled with a series of serious health issued in recent years, while he also admitted that he was carrying a foot injury as he prepared to wrestle one more time.

These fears proved to be well founded as during the match itself, Flair looked disorientated at times, and surprisingly admitted in a post-match interview that there were sections of the bout he couldn’t remember.

During a recent episode of his podcast To Be The Man, Ric Flair, alongside the matches promotor Conrad Thompson reflected on the event. During the conversation the Nature Boy confirmed that he had passed out twice during the match, although he attributed this to dehydration.

“I don’t think people realized I passed out twice. What happened was, my regimentation for training was so strict. I wanted my perfect weight to be like 220 going in. So the last day and a half, aside from all the work that we had planned for me to do, I didn’t hydrate because I had it in my mind that I had to weigh 219. So anyway, I went to the ring at about 217 pounds.

What happened during the match is I just became dehydrated. While I was standing on the apron, I looked at Jay which started the whole wheel in motion. I said, ‘Man, I think I’m getting sick’, because I was getting lightheaded. Nothing to do with my heart. Nothing to do with my intestines. I was getting lightheaded. I’m sure a lot of it was nerves as well. So I think Jay said, ‘We got to move this along’, and that isn’t what I meant, but to the point where Manny (Andrade) came over and said, ‘Your turn, sir. Your turn, sir. Your turn, sir.’

So I got in, but I didn’t know we were in the match because I had missed about clearly like 10 seconds of it. So then when I went outside, I think everybody just jumped the gun a little bit.”

Recalling the second time he passed out, Flair explained that it was his tag team partner Andrade El Idolo who brought him round.

“The idea was he gave me the tag and I crawled. But I got all that, and the people got all that. I thought they were really with it. I crawl over, cover, one, save. Then at that point, along came the guitar. You know, bingo. When I was down, I passed out again. I just passed out, and Manny is going ‘Sir, you have to wake up.’ I had the brass knuckles. ‘Sir, you have to wake up.’ Okay, so then I woke up and I knew where we were and we’re home. But I swear to God, twice during the match, I went completely black.”

In closing, the veteran reiterated that his issues were caused by dehydration, something he fixed after The Undertaker confiscated his six-pack of beers backstage.

“It was all about dehydration. I had two doctors in there right away with me and everything and The Undertaker came running in. I had like six beers there. He took them out of my hand and said, ‘You’re drinking two Gatorades first.’ So I drank two and that was all it was. I underestimated the importance of keeping hydrated.”

During the episode Conrad Thompson also commented that the special Jim Crockett Promotions show was “bigger than a one-off” but declined to offer any further details.

H/t to WrestlingNewsCo for the transcription.