On November 25th it was reported that Randy Orton had undergone back surgery and there were question marks over whether he would wrestle again. The star has been a near-constant presence in WWE for two decades and was enjoying one of the most popular runs of his career before taking time off.
The report in question stated that Randy Orton had undergone fusion surgery on his lower back and would be out for an extended period. Although there was no word on exactly when the surgery took place, some within WWE felt that they would be “lucky to have him back” given the length of his career and the severity of the injury. At present there are no creative plans for a return to television.
Randy Orton Will Be Back “Before You Know It”
During a virtual signing for K & S WrestleFest ‘Cowboy’ Bob Orton Jr, Randy’s father, was asked about his son’s recovery. The WWE Hall of Famer said that Randy was “coming along” before appearing to confirm that he intends to resume his career.
“He’s [Randy Orton] coming along. I see him maybe once a week or so. But he’s coming along. He’ll be back in there before you know it.”
The veteran also said that he would like to see Randy Orton face Cody Rhodes when he returns, pointing to his own battles with the American Dream Dusty Rhodes.
“I think Cody [Rhodes versus Randy] would be a hell of a match. I wrestled Dusty a lot of times so, might as well keep it ongoing [Bob smiled].”
Randy Orton’s most recent match came on the May 20th edition of Friday Night SmackDown where he and Matt Riddle attempted to unify their Raw and SmackDown Tag Team Titles. However, the duo lost out to The Usos, earning a beatdown from The Bloodline after the match for their trouble.
It quickly came to light that the beatdown was so that Orton could be written off television to deal with a back injury that had been getting progressively worse.
H/t to POST Wrestling