A new report has revealed that further staff cuts have been made on the production side of NXT in the last week.
WWE has made several rounds of cuts to both talent and behind the scenes personnel over the last year with the company citing budget cuts and the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic as being the main drivers behind the releases.
In May, NXT felt the sting of cuts with several developmental stars released alongside former NXT North American Champion Velveteen Dream. It was also in May that a number of divisions within the company were being merged and will now be directly overseen by Executive Vice President, Television Production Kevin Dunn. The WWE Studios, WWE Network, production, and digital divisions within the company were said to be hardest hit by this new round of layoffs.
Now, Cassidy Haynes of Bodyslam.net has reported that further cuts took place this week which affected NXT production staff. The report also says the latest terminations have left the brand with a “skeleton crew”.
“While speaking with sources in WWE, I was informed that there was another round of production related cuts made at NXT this week. Additionally, I was told that ‘They’re down to a skeleton crew.’ When I asked for details as to which areas within the company were part of the latest round of terminations, I was just told ‘production.'”
Triple H, who is WWE’s Executive Vice President of Global Talent Strategy & Development, defended the cuts in a recent interview when he said that all companies were making “difficult decisions” coming out of the pandemic, and WWE was no different.
— WWE (@WWE) September 11, 2021
On September 14th, NXT is set to unveil the changes made in a recent revamp of the once black and gold brand. The new multicoloured logo and theme song for the show were revealed at the end of August and the company has recently been promoting the changes as ‘NXT 2.0’.