Night two of NJPW’s G1 Climax 32 features eight more top stars kicking off their tournament including KENTA and Shingo Takagi. You can find the results right here!
The G1 Climax tournament is one of the biggest events in the pro wrestling calendar and this year it’s bigger than ever before. 28 men will battle for a shot at the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship across four blocks of seven.
Two points are earned for every victory, one point is earned for a draw, and zero points are awarded for a loss. The top point scorer in each block will then advance to semi-finals on August 17th, before the finals on August 18th.
The winner of the tournament will earn an IWGP World Heavyweight Championship match at Wrestle Kingdom 17 in January 2023.
Should the current IWGP World Heavyweight Champion, Jay White, win the tournament then he will earn the right to choose his opponent at New Japan’s biggest show of the year.
The second night of block action kicked off with Tomohiro Ishii taking on Taichi. Throughout the pair’s history, Ishii has often been seen to bring out the best in the Suzuki-Gun man and this proved to be the case again tonight. After a hard-fought match, Taichi finally put Ishii away with Black Mephisto to start his G1 with a win over his fiercest rival.
Next, JONAH fell foul of Toru Yano. Despite having strength on his side and even preventing the wily CHAOS member from using the tape he has tied other wrestlers in knots with, JONAH was felled on the outside as Yano landed a low blow on both him and his TMDK teammate Bad Dude Tito. JONAH was unable to answer the 20-count, giving Yano his first two points.
In the semi-main, KENTA and Zack Sabre Jr. went to war. ZSJ tried to match KENTA’s striking game but fell short, seemingly out after two Busaiku Knees. However, KENTA wanted to show his dominance and let ZSJ out of two pins, this proved to be a mistake as it allowed the Submission Master the opportunity to pull him into both a leg and arm submission, forcing a tapout victory.
In the main event, the most recent member of Bullet Club, Juice Robinson, set out to prove he was ‘Rock Hard’ against one of NJPW’s toughest wrestlers, Shingo Takagi. After a brutal back-and-forth match bout with some of the stiffest strikes of the tournament so far, Robinson proved his claims, taking The Dragon down with two Pulp Frictions for the win.
You can find the full standings for the tournament so far right here at Inside The Ropes.
Full NJPW G1 Climax 32 Day 2 results
- David Finlay & YOSHI-HASHI defeat Team Filthy (Royce Isaacs & Tom Lawlor)
- Bullet Club (El Phantasmo & Bad Luck Fale) defeats Suzuki-Gun (TAKA Michinoku & Lance Archer)
- United Empire (Aaron Henare, Great O-Khan, Jeff Cobb & Will Ospreay) defeats Bullet Club (Dick Togo, SHO, Yujiro Takahashi & EVIL)
- Bullet Club (Chase Owens & Jay White) defeats Jado and Tama Tonga
- CHAOS (Hirooki Goto & Kazuchika Okada) & Hiroshi Tanahashi defeat Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, SANADA & Tetsuya Naito)
- B Block match: Taichi (2) defeats Tomohiro Ishii (0)
- A Block match: Toru Yano (2) defeats JONAH (0)
- C Block match: Zack Sabre Jr. (2) vs. KENTA (0)
- D Block match: Juice Robinson (2) defeats Shingo Takagi (0)
How to watch NJPW G1 Climax 32
Every day of NJPW G1 Climax 32 can be streamed live through NJPW World and is available on-demand.