IMPACT News

Jeff Jarrett Claims AJ Styles Was Forced Out Of TNA

AJ Styles Thumb

WWE Hall of Famer Jeff Jarrett has discussed the end of AJ Styles’ time in TNA and says management forced Styles out of the company.

In 2002, Jeff Jarrett spearheaded an attempt to start a new wrestling organisation after WCW had been sold to WWE. The result was TNA and that company helped launch the wrestling career of current WWE Superstar, AJ Styles.

Styles spent nearly 12 years as part of TNA, becoming the company’s inaugural X Division Champion and going on to win the NWA and TNA World Championships five times. Despite his tenure and success in the company, AJ Styles found himself on the outs with the company as the management structure changed.

Speaking on his My World podcast Jeff Jarrett discussed how the company “forced” Styles to leave TNA but first explained how he found himself on the way out of the company he founded around the same time:

“I resigned December 21, 2013. In early December is when the Carter’s put the nail in the coffin for me and Toby (Keith) to acquire majority interest. We knew it was game, set, match. It was not happening. I knew I had to go. I knew Dixie’s position on all of it because of the, for lack of a better word, the financial de-spiral the company was in.”

“AJ’s money was getting cut. They wanted to cut AJ’s money but not dates. He said, ‘If you cut my money, I’m cutting my dates.’ It was not just AJ’s contract. It was everybody’s. He was a complete, utter mess. AJ was so willing to commit to the product that he was willing to re-sign.”

“I found this out later. They said some awful things and had devalued AJ. They basically forced AJ against his will to leave. That’s how committed AJ Styles was to the brand. He was TNA through and through. He had to be essentially forced out.”

h/t WrestlingNews.co