Impact Wrestling took to Twitter on December 21st to take a light-hearted jab at current Arsenal boss and former metronomic midfielder, Mikel Arteta.
The tweet in question was a response to an ESPN transcript of the former Rangers and Everton midfielder, in which he stated Arsenal were losing games they had a high percentage chance of winning based off analytical evidence and game theory.
“Last year we won against Everton with a 25% chance of winning, you win 3-2. Last weekend, it was a 67% chance of winning, any Premier League game in history, and a 9% chance of losing, and you lose. 3% against Burnley and you lose, 7% against Spurs, and you lose.”
IMPACT took to their official twitter account to make a light-hearted joke at Arteta’s expense, pointing out the similarities between Arteta’s statement and the now infamous ‘Steiner Maths Promo’.
The numbers don't lie and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice. https://t.co/M64dEilDFF
— IMPACT (@IMPACTWRESTLING) December 21, 2020
‘Steiner Maths’ originates from IMPACT’s [Formerly TNA] 2008 Sacrifice PPV event, during the show the former WWF Tag Team Champion spoke on his upcoming match against Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe stating:
You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Samoa Joe and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another wrestler, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I’m a genetic freak and I’m not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat me. Then you add Kurt Angle to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way at Sacrifice, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Kurt Angle KNOWS he can’t beat me and he’s not even gonna try!
So Samoa Joe, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at Sacrifice. But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of winning at Sacrifice. See Joe, the numbers don’t lie, and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice.
The segment has since gone on to become a key piece of Internet Wrestling Culture appearing on shows such as Botchamania, as well as being referenced in promotions all across the globe including the WWE.
IMPACT Wrestling is currently experience a boom in viewership and interest following the reveal at AEW ‘Winter is Coming’ that they would be working with AEW and that Kenny Omega would begin appearing on IMPACT on Axis TV.
Arsenal currently find themselves 15th in the Premier League, 11 points behind their traditionally less successful rival’s, Tottenham Hotspur. This is ‘The Gunners’ worst start to a top flight season in over 45 years with key performers such as Scotland’s Kieran Tierney and Gabon international Pierre Emerick Aubameyang underperforming massively.
Arteta and Arsenal are yet to respond to IMPACT’s tweet, however, with Mikel Arteta a former Rangers star it is likely that he will receive the backing of former IMPACT and current WWE World Champion, Drew McIntyre.
Photograph Credit: Sky Sports