Wrestling News

Heath Slater On WWE’s Contract Offer After His One-Off Return

Heath Slater

Heath Slater has discussed his one-night WWE return in 2020 and how he was offered half of his original contract to return to the company.

Slater was part of a slew of talent released from their contracts in April 2020 due to the COVID pandemic. In July he returned on Monday Night Raw as a surprise thorn in the side of his former 3MB partner Drew McIntyre. Slater confronted McIntyre blaming the Scotsman for his release and demanded a match with the then WWE Champion.

McIntyre reluctantly accepted and defeated Slater in short order later in the night. McIntyre’s rival at the time Dolph Ziggler then berated Slater before McIntyre saved his old friend. Slater and McIntyre then embraced in the ring.

Speaking to The Angle Podcast, Slater revealed that there was only one man responsible for his one-off return:

“It’s Drew’s fault. For real. A writer contacted me about coming to RAW. They wanted me to do a promo segment with Drew then a match with Dolph. Then I’d come to some Horror Show match to interfere and Drew beats Dolph or something. If I’m going to come back and do anything it would be with Drew. So I just told them no, my mind was gone. The writer told Drew that and a couple of days later Drew calls me. I even told Drew man I’m not doing it. He was trying to talk me into it.”

“He called me again and we really just talked; not about wrestling. And he’s like ‘man I need you there, I want you there, for me and my storyline and it will help you out too. Imagine if they offer you a contract. Imagine even if you leave after this you’ll be talked about. The eyes will be on you.’ I talked to my wife about it and she said ‘what do you have to lose? You’re already fired.’ I went down there and they tried to give me a script and I gave it back to them and said I got what I want to say. They asked me to mention the last time I spoke to Drew was on The Bump.”

Heath Slater then divulged that he had been offered a deal to return to WWE, however, he would have to take a substantial pay cut:

“They offered me a contract back and it was like half of what I was making. I was like no, I need to go and find myself and do other things.”

“I never burned any bridges there, they all know me, I still talk to more than half of the people up there. There’s no hard feelings at all. I told them I said I just want to go and do my thing for a little bit and they didn’t blame me. They got it.”

Following his departure from WWE Heath Slater joined IMPACT Wrestling at Slammiversary, just 12 days after his Raw appearance.

Credit: The Angle Podcast

h/t Wrestling Inc. for the transcription