New details have come to light regarding Kurt Angle’s scrapped WWE return, including an appearance at Elimination Chamber.
Ahead of the 2022 Royal Rumble it was reported that Kurt Angle would be at the event. The news came after Angle himself had refused to rule out returning to the ring after getting himself back into shape.
While the Hall of Famer didn’t appear in the ring, or otherwise, at the event, Angle himself confirmed that he would be involved with the company in some capacity in the coming weeks. However, Angle later explained that plans had changed and he would no longer be appearing as previously thought.
A new report from Fightful Select has now offered some details on what the now scrapped plans would have looked like.
The report claims that Angle was originally scheduled to play a part in the rivalry between RK-Bro and the Alpha Academy. To this end, there were pitches made for the academic challenge on Raw to be the “Three I’s Challenge” in reference to Angle’s early WWE character.
There were also discussions that would have seen the former World Champion appear as a special guest referee at the upcoming Elimination Chamber event in Saudi Arabia.
Kurt Angle last appeared for WWE in May 2020 introducing Riddle as he debuted on SmackDown. He had been released by the company as part of wide-ranging budget cuts a month earlier.
You can find the updated card for Elimination Chamber below.
- Roman Reigns (c) vs. Goldberg (Universal Championship)
- Bobby Lashley (c) vs. Brock Lesnar vs. Riddle vs. Seth Freakin’ Rollins vs. AJ Styles vs. Austin Theory (Elimination Chamber match for the WWE Championship)
- Becky Lynch (c) vs. Lita (Raw Women’s Championship)
- Doudrop vs. Rhea Ripley vs. Bianca Belair vs. Nikki A.S.H. vs. Liv Morgan vs TBD (Elimination Chamber Match)
- Drew McIntyre vs. Madcap Moss
- The Usos (c) vs. The Viking Raiders (SmackDown Tag Team Championships)