On May 27th, WWE headed to Saudi Arabia for Night of Champions. An event that saw an epic betrayal and a new World Champion decided.
In the opening match of the night Seth Rollins and AJ Styles met to decide a new World Heavyweight Championship. The two men had previously battled their way through two matches to reach the final. When all was said and done it was Rollins who had his hand and the new title raised, marking his first World Championship victory since 2019.
In the main event, Roman Reigns teamed with Solo Sikoa in an attempt to win the Undisputed World Tag Team Titles. However, that quest would be undone by Jimmy Uso whose frustrations with the Tribal Chief finally boiled over. After The Usos accidentally Superkicked Sikoa, Jimmy blasted Reigns with a Superkick, before delivering one more for good measure.
In the chaos, Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens pinned Sikoa to retain the gold.
Writing in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer has now revealed his match ratings for the event. The highest-rated match on the night was the main event, while Seth Rollins’ win and Brock Lesnar vs. Cody Rhodes also scored highly.
Dave Meltzer WWE Clash Of Champions Ratings
- Seth Rollins vs. AJ Styles – World Heavyweight Championship ****1/4
- Trish Stratus vs. Becky Lynch ***1/4
- Gunther vs. Mustafa Ali – Intercontinental Championship ***3/4
- Asuka vs. Bianca Belair – Raw Women’s Title ***1/4
- Rhea Ripley vs. Natalya – SmackDown Women’s Title (NO RATING)
- Brock Lesnar vs. Cody Rhodes ****
- Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn vs. Roman Reigns & Solo Sikoa – Undisputed Tag Team Titles ****1/2