Dave Meltzer has shared his match ratings for the first night of WrestleMania 39.
Across April 1st and 2nd at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California, WWE staged their biggest event of the year. In fact, they have since touted it as the biggest and most successful WrestleMania ever.
The two-night affair kicked off with John Cena losing out to Austin Theory as the young star retained the United States Title. Meanwhile, Rey Mysterio finally got revenge on Dominik by defeating him in front of the world, thanks to a little help from Bad Bunny. After months of squabbling in interviews and online, Seth Rollins also got his revenge on Logan Paul. The social media star’s contract with WWE has now expired.
In one of the most-crowd-pleasing moments of the weekend, Rhea Ripley defeated Charlotte Flair to win the SmackDown Women’s Title. Many fans and critics alike have hailed their match as the best women’s WrestleMania match ever.
In the main event, Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn scored an emotional victory over The Usos to win the Undisputed Tag Team Titles. The victory topped off an incredible journey for the pair, which in Zayn’s case began a year ago.
Writing in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer has given his thoughts on the card. The lowest-rated match on the night was the clash between Pat McAfee and The Miz, while the main event landed five stars.
Dave Meltzer’s WrestleMania Ratings – Night One
- Austin Theory vs. John Cena – United States Title **1/4
- The Street Profits vs. Alpha Academy vs. Braun Strowman & Ricochet vs. The Viking Raiders – WrestleMania Showcase *** 3/4
- Seth Rollins vs Logan Paul **** 1/2
- Trish Stratus, Lita & Becky Lynch vs. Damage CTRL **3/4
- Rey Mysterio vs. Dominik ****
- Rhea Ripley vs Charlotte Flair – SmackDown Women’s Title ****3/4
- Pat McAfee vs. The Miz *1/2
- Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn vs. The Usos – Undisputed Tag Team Titles *****
You can find the ratings for night two here.