Cody Rhodes has responded after someone online suggested that All Elite Wrestling will be unable to sell out their first-ever visit to New York City in what could be history repeating itself.
AEW has announced that they will be holding their first-ever stadium show on September 22nd. The special edition of Dynamite will be held at the Arthur Ashe Stadium in Queens, New York. It will be the first time a wrestling event has been held at the stadium since it was opened in 1997. The iconic stadium has become the traditional home of the US Open tennis tournament and takes its name from Arthur Ashe who won the first-ever US Open in 1968.
As first reported by the NY Daily News, the show will be called AEW Dynamite: Grand Slam. With confirmation from Tony Khan that the event will be in line with other specials such as Blood and Guts.
Commenting on the news, Chris Jericho said that AEW could have easily gone to traditional WWE venues such as Madison Square Garden or the Barclay’s Center. However, they wanted an arena they could make their own.
“One of the reasons why AEW’s done so well is we’re different from WWE and that’s obvious. We do things differently than the way they do it. They’re a huge successful company, especially in the New York market. That’s a WWE stronghold.
“But there are a lot of people who are excited to see things done a little bit differently and I think that’s one of the reasons why we’re making our debut in New York City in a stadium WWE’s never been in. I’m sure we could have gone to the Garden or done the Barclays Center, but those do have a WWE brush on them. Let’s go somewhere else and make it our New York market arena. Let’s go to Arthur Ashe Stadium and that now becomes an AEW stronghold in the middle of New York, which is a McMahon country.”
Now a fan online caught the eye of The American Nightmare, Cody Rhodes with comments suggesting that the company won’t be able to fill the stadium that has been set at a capacity of 17,000.
Rhodes simply responded via Twitter:
“I’ve been told this before”
I’ve been told this before. https://t.co/RNupx0BWh6
— Cody (@CodyRhodes) June 16, 2021
Rhodes was of course referring to noted wrestling journalist Dave Meltzer’s comments in 2018 that spawned the hugely successful All In event. Meltzer had been asked if he thought Ring Of Honor – who Rhodes, The Young Bucks, and Hangman Page were affiliated with at the time – could sell out a ten thousand seat arena. Meltzer replied in the negative and Rhodes responded “I’ll take that bet, Dave.”
All In held at the Sears Center in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois had an officially reported attendance of over 11,000 fans and tickets for the event sold out in under thirty minutes.
It has also been confirmed that AEW will be in Newark, NJ, on September 15th and Rochester, NY, on September 29th. Both shows had previously been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.