Charlotte Flair has fired back at fans who criticise her for always being in title contention, suggesting that she only gets the negative comments because she’s a woman.
The Queen, Charlotte Flair is a woman who is never far from the headlines. Whether it’s her record-breaking exploits inside the ring, or her alleged problems with Becky Lynch outside of it, the second generation star is box office.
After the title swap between Becky Lynch and Flair following the WWE Draft didn’t go anything like smoothly, it was reported that there was a backstage altercation between the two women. While it was also noted that the SmackDown Women’s Champion was escorted out of the building by security.
For her part, Lynch later said that the “locker room needed a hero,” confirming that the pair no longer speak.
It has since been announced that the two champions will meet at Survivor Series.
Speaking to BT Sport ahead of the highly anticipated showdown, Charlotte Flair said that she’s excited for the match, adding that she’s a better performer than the last time they met.
“I think it’s going to be something special. You have two women who are at the top of their game, at the top of the business, who believe they are the best. When you see both of them believe it in themselves and to watch it on camera, it’s going to be something special. What I’m excited about is when we faced each other in Last Woman Standing, which is one of my favourite matches, I am a much better performer now than I was then and I know who Charlotte Flair is now. She’ll be facing a much different woman than she did two years ago. I’m on a whole new level.”
Flair then switched tact and addressed the criticism that’s often levelled at her about her place on the card. Some fans have criticised Flair in recent years for her near-constant presence in the Women’s Title picture, no matter the band she’s on.
The Queen fired back at her critics suggesting that if she was a man, no one would question her role.
“If I was a man would it rub people the wrong way? No one looks at a man and goes, ‘why does he want to be the world champion again when he’s been on top all these years?’ Is it because I’m a woman and have done it all and we have a smaller division? Charlotte is difficult? Because I stand up for what I believe in? That makes me difficult? If I was a man, I’d have big balls. I know how good I am. Man or woman, I am the best.”
You can read the updated card for Survivor Series below.
- WWE Champion Big E vs. Universal Champion Roman Reigns
- Raw Women’s Champion Becky Lynch vs. SmackDown Women’s Champion Charlotte Flair
- United States Champion Damian Priest vs. Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura
- Raw Tag Team Champions RK-Bro (Randy Orton & Riddle) vs. SmackDown Tag Team Champions The Usos (Jimmy & Jey Uso)
- Women’s five-on-five elimination match: Team Raw (Bianca Belair, Rhea Ripley, Liv Morgan, Carmella & Zelina Vega) vs. Team SmackDown (Sasha Banks, Shayna Baszler, Shotzi, Natalya, and unconfirmed)
- Men’s five-on-five elimination match: Team Raw (Seth Rollins, Finn Balor, Kevin Owens, Austin Theory & Bobby Lashley) vs. Team SmackDown (Drew McIntyre, Jeff Hardy, Xavier Woods, Baron Corbin, and unconfirmed)