Brazilian grappler Arturo Ruas had been with the WWE since 2016, prior to his release from the company last month.
Brought in thanks in part to his legitimate background in both amateur wrestling and Jiu-Jitsu, Ruas was offered little to sink his teeth into whilst housed within NXT.
When I did my match with Kushida (NXT TV – 18/11/2020), I knew that the storyline of that match would be leading to me being a part of Malcolm Bivens’ group. It wasn’t Diamond Mine yet. I was supposed to be in that group, and then I got injured. I got surgery on my bicep, and things kind of stopped, but I healed. I got cleared, and everything started to run again. That’s where Diamond Mine came up. It would be a group of legit fighters with legit backgrounds.
However, Ruas went on to reveal that just days before the group’s debut, he was told that he would not be involved in the initial angle but instead, join a few weeks later.
This would, unfortunately, not come to pass as Ruas was informed of his release later that week:
And finally they were like, okay, it will be this day. I was like, let’s go. The group were talking together, and then days before, not weeks — they billed it on Tuesday. I got a call Saturday. ‘Hey man, we’re putting you off now, but you’re going to be on soon. I felt like something’s weird, something’s off here. I was like, ‘Hey, let me know more. What’s happening?’ They said, ‘No, nothing’s happening. You’re good. You’re going to be on later because if you debut all together, it won’t make sense, but in the future, you’re going to be there. That’s it.’ The same week, bye bye.
The Diamond Mine ended up debuting with Roderick Strong, Tyler Rust and Hideki Suzuki, with Malcolm Bivens serving as the group’s mouthpiece.
It will be interesting to see where Ruas lands next and we’ll be sure to keep you posted as the situation evolves.