For the first time ever, All Elite Wrestling and New Japan Pro-Wrestling came together, live on pay-per-view, as the Forbidden Door was opened yet again!
All Elite Wrestling returned to pay-per-view on Sunday, 26th June when they joined forces with New Japan Pro-Wrestling to present Forbidden Door, live from the United Center in Chicago, Illinois. The event marked the first time such an event has occurred, despite the promotions’ long-established working agreement.
Both the AEW World and IWGP World Heavyweight Championships were defended, albeit the interim title for the former. Jon Moxley defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi to claim the temporary championship in the absence of CM Punk, while Jay White successfully retained his IWGP strap against the trio of Adam Page, Adam Cole, and former champion Kazuchika Okada.
The inaugural AEW All Atlantic Champion was also crowned when PAC outlasted Malakai Black, Miro, and New Japan’s Clark Connors. In another title bout, Orange Cassidy was unsuccessful in his attempt to bring gold to Best Friends when he challenged Will Ospreay for his IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship.
Several other top New Japan stars were also in action during the historic event. Minoru Suzuki teamed with Le Sex Gods to defeat Eddie Kingston, Wheeler YUTA, and Shota Umino, while his CHAOS stablemate Zack Sabre Jr. faced Bryan Danielson’s mystery opponent – a debuting Claudio Castagnoli.
AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door streamed live via Bleacher Report for fans in the United States, NJPW Word for those watching in Japan and Fite TV in the rest of the world.
AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2022 Results
- Hirooki Goto and YOSHI-HASHI defeat QT Marshall and Aaron Solo
- Lance Archer defeats Nick Comoroto
- Keith Lee and Swerve Strickland defeat El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru
- Max Caster and The Gunn Club (Billy Gunn, Austin Gunn, and Colten Gunn) defeat Yuya Uemura, Alex Coughlin, Kevin Knight, and The DKC
- Chris Jericho, Sammy Guevara, and Minoru Suzuki defeat Eddie Kingston, Wheeler YUTA, and Shota Umino
- FTR (Cash Wheeler and Dax Harwood) defeat United Empire (Jeff Cobb and Great-O-Khan, and Roppongi Vice (Trent Beretta and Rocky Romero) to win IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championships and retain the ROH World Tag Team Championships
- PAC defeats Miro, Malakai Black and Clark Connors for the inaugural AEW All Atlantic Championship
- Shingo Takagi, Darby Allin, and Sting defeat Bullet Club (The Young Bucks, & El Phantasmo)
- Thunder Rosa defeats Toni Storm to retain AEW Women’s World Championship
- Will Ospreay defeats Orange Cassidy to retain IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship
- Claudio Castagnoli defeats Zack Sabre Jr.
- Jay White defeats Kazuchika Okada, Adam Cole, and Adam Page to retain the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship
- Jon Moxley defeats Hiroshi Tanahashi to win the interim AEW World Championship